Wednesday, December 8, 2010

PujMAC Solo Tour- Bike setup and preparation

I decided to go on tour after casual chat with Burn (Bakar) during one of our Pujmac routine ride. We were talking about going on tour. Initially, I was thinking of using my roadie Bianchi to Langkawi but then I switched to S-Works(Specialized) hardtail MTB once I firmed Betong (Thailand) as my destination. I was anticipating of riding along the hilly and mountainous region in the north of Perak, therefore using hardtail MTB with 26" diameter wheels and 9 speed cassette with 3 chain rings crank would be most forgiven.  I was also considering some offroad trails along the way. With the help of Bob (Due Roda), he managed to get me a Deuter pannier bags that hooked to Topeak removable alloy carrier, the carrier which I purchased at Rodalink long before I decided to go on this tour. The metal carrier is also equipped with sliding box. The panniers and the box gave adequate space for clothing, spare tubes, tools, foods, laptop, chargers and other bicycle spares and appurtenances. I bought another bag that was bracketed on the handlebar also Topeak from Rodalink Hartamas, this bag stored modest items like vitamin, camera, supplement, sunglasses, passport and cash. Another small panniers were tied to the frame where I kept knife and handphones. Shahrin Amir(Due Roda) was generous enough to loan me his Continental Sportcontact slick tires, as rated by me to be 'very effective', also donated his Tranz-X long bar ends and fixed my pedal with a pair of stopper, which practically designed for touring. He helps setting up my bike. I installed carbon riser bar with side mirrors fixed to the bar ends. The stem is ABR with 'height adjustable type', bought at Fook Sang. BTW the mirrors were donated by Burn. The saddle was cannibalized from Mini Cooper folding bike that belongs to my niece Laila Zuraida, in exchanged with my Fizik saddle as collateral (not really, she needs replacement saddle to ride) hehehe. Fizik on folding bike :D, looks cool. Extra bottle cage 'Jet black' that I won as lucky draw during ECC Melaka was also attached. Other stuffs such as raincovers, small lantern and sleeping bag were purchased at uptown market. The nite before my departure, Pujmac team ie Cif, David, Arash, Fid, Iyan, Ikmal, Nik Mar,Poey, Jakiko and my nephew and nieces ie Laila Zuraida, Fazly and Jaja came to my house to help with my final preparation, the guys were busy fixing my bike whilst Fid helps with packing my clothes. I felt so fortunate as being surrounded by many honest,good and cheerful peoples in my cycling fraternity, and that was really contradicts the real life that I had experienced through my corporate affairs which were mere 'dogs eat dogs'.

No comments:

Post a Comment