Saturday, December 18, 2010

My solo bicycle tour to Betong (Thailand)-Day 4: Kuala Kangsar- Gerik

Pekan Kati
Sunday November 28, 2010: Kuala Kangsar:  Yesteday was like a fun ride, I clocked in another 80km and made my total distance traveled since day 1 is 320 km. I spent my nite at Kangsar hotel, located near the old postal office of Kuala Kangsar. BTW  Kuala Kangsar is the hometown of Fid Mohammad, probably her parents were born here. I woke early in the morning and had breakfast at the jetty, the place where pasar malam is held in this town. The jetty served to ferry commuters to Sayong or Kota Lama Kanan  which is located on the other side of the river. It wasnt so busy as it was in the 60s or 70s, that was before the bridge was built. I remember when I was about 9, my mom and dad took me for a ride on the 'sampan' (boat which is manually rowed) to Kota Lama Kanan to visit my uncle. I could imagine the energy that the man who rowed the boat exerted while his 'sampan' which was fulled with passengers. Some people may not have much choices to make ends meet. We paid 20 cents per head for the fare. My mom's father was born here and I still have many cousins who live here. After had my breakfast, at about 8.00 am I start cycling towards the road leading to Ipoh and just before the Iskandar bridge I took left turn on the road that lead to a town called Kati. I saw Kati town signboard after 15 minute ride from the junction. Kati is also a cowboy town, I was not even stopped, keep on pedalling heading for Lenggong and the sun was starting to smile at me. Its gonna be burning hot cycling day, what the hell, I have  gone too far to retreat. My prediction was right as I cycled along the hiway under open sky, it was too hot till the water inside the water bottle tasted like warm water. I hit Raja Nazrin bridge that is crossing Tasik Raban, it was nice view but it was too hot to stay long on the bridge to appreciate the view.

Kuala Kangsar-Lenggong Hiway


After crosssing the bridge, I decided to look for shelter. I followed the exit road from the highway and riding along the old road towards Lenggong. I saw a nice spot near the lake where I parked my bike by the tree and took a nap. It was so refreshing after almost an hour of sleep an continued cycling through the village 'Kg Raban' towards Lenggong. On the way, I saw a restaurant serving hot fresh water fish barbeque and selling coconut too, its too tempting and time to recharge. The place look like a popular spot for lunch, I saw bunch of superbikers stopped by and walked into the restaurant  like a cowboy, mostly with buffs on their head and with jackets and riding pants, they walked as they are the most handsome and macho guys in town. The fact that they are only riding on the local assembled Kawasaki ERN 600, the marque that are popular among the beginners, lowest end of the league. That machine is not so cool like BMW RGS. Deep inside me was saying , hei guys I cycled almost 400km to get here, you guys are not even up to my ass  so dont walked like some kind of macho ...hehehe. BTW , its me alone, I may end up being vegetable  if I said it out loud.  

 After fullfilling my stomach, I continued on the old road and it lead me to the hiway, the sun shows no sign of complementing, as matter of facts it is really testing my patient. I decided to ride no matter how hot she wanna burn me. The slope on the hiway is not forgiving too, its reminds of riding on the MEX hiway and the difference is this higway is having long and steeper slopes and while riding the sun is perpendicular to the top of my head, while MEX is much shorter and gentle slopes, the cycling was done in the evening. I only could take it to Lenggong, while looking for place to rest, I saw guesthouse sign board.   I get to the cafeteria in the guesthouse and ordered ABC and got me a place on the nice couch in the aircond where I had a good nap after finishing my ABC.

Lenggong town
I took a nap on the couch, the aircond and the ABC were the nicest thing happen to me that day. I woke up at 3.30pm after having more than two hours of sleeping. I went to Lenggong mosque (Masjid Jamek) took a plain shower and pray. It was at about 4.20pm when I was back on the saddle heading for Grik. Both the
sky and sun were kinda comprizing and it was really a pleasant ride as the sky was clear and cold breeze blew from the mountain. It was beautiful scenery along, mountains, tropical jungle and nice rivers  and streams. I stopped on one of the steel bridge on the river that run parallel to the road and later was joined by bunch of kids on BMX. They threw some admiring gestures to my bicycle but gave no reaction to my story that I had cycled 400 km.They were only interested to know how much the bike cost but gave no attention to my story though I was zealously and repeatedly telling them. They were happy to join my ride for 3 km heading to Grik.
Lenggong-Grik
New kids on the block
It was about 6 pm when it was started to rain heavy, I continued cranking as I want to reach Grik before dark. It was kind of chilly as the wind blew and naturally that place is cold. It suits me well except for the rain. I dont really care about stopping for shelter, I increased my pace and finally I saw big concrete signboard written Grik on the left side of the road. It only took me 500m after the sign then I saw direction leading to the rest house. I got myself a room that cost rm 50 with 3 beds. 

1 comment: