Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My solo bicycle tour to Betong (Thailand)-Day 3: Sri Iskandar - Kuala Kangsar

I live here in the late 70s


Anak Salleh Zam - same class standard one 1969
November 27, 2010: 0900 Hrs: Day 3, I woke up at 9.00 am, quiet unusual, normally by 7.30 I am ready for anything. Probably cycling for 135 km a day before was a bit too much. Last nite I had dinner with Kema Bako, Wan and Hairi Nor (Penang MTB) , after dinner I checked-in into Iskandar Hotel and got myself a room, taken my shower and immediately caught a zzzzzz (american...means tido). The hotel is located near the podium of SIT jamboree, my first jamboree with pujmac, before that I was a hustler. After breakfast, I shot some photos and later decided to take rest in my room. BTW the hotel receptionist, happens to be daughter of my ex-classmate in primary school. At 2.30pm I continued my journey to Kuala Kangsar by taking the route from Sri Iskandar to Parit. Partly I went across the jamboree trail. I reached Parit and stopped for ABC and bumped into an old friend ex classmate, Zulkifli Ali, nice guy. From Parit I cycled along the river (Sg Perak) and went across the bridge called jambatan Nordin to Tanjong Blanja. On this side of the river, I was still heading north and passes through Kg Chuping Kiri, Kg Tepus and Kg Telok Perang. At Kg Tepus, I stopped to buy pomelo and all of a sudden a red sportscar ,Toyota Mr2 came to a complete stopped a suddenly made a reversed to where I was standing. A guy came out from the car with a weird outfits. Its kind of hard to describe, with both arms were heavy with accessories that are mostly metals, he got rings on all 10 fingers, necklaces around his neck and wearing a pair of high top black leather boot. Could possibly be electrocuted, if lightning persist. I was like asking who the hell is this guy, he greeted me with salam, asking where am I going, where I came from, I told him that I am originally from Telok Bakong, so that at least he knows I am among the clan, he told that  he is a descendant of the ruler and Ngah Lahit, well Ngah Lahit is also related to me through my mum.Therefore this man somehow is related to me. No wonder he seems crazy too hehehe.  I was asking permission to take his photo and he proudly posed himself for me, In return I said 'Thank you your highness". He left with smile, I can feel that he is actually a nice guy though with some character. I laughed like a mad man thinking about him when I got myself back on the saddle.
He got extra handkerchief on his.......



Parit-big deal for me in the late 60s


Not long after my encounters with the character man, the day starts drizzling and I took shelter at the bus stop. I was accompanied by two man.I got the old man to hold the bike while I was taking the shot.  I continued the journey passing through many villages till I hit Manong. A small town sits at the bank of Perak river. It is a cowboy town. I cycled north and went through many villages, those that I remember are Ketior, Jerlun and Ulu Kenas before I arrived at Kuala Kangsar. It was about 8.00 pm in the evening when I was roaming the downtown looking for place to sleep. The royal town of Kuala Kangsar, my grandpa from my mother side was born on the other side of the river.


Manong

Kuala Kangsar




No comments:

Post a Comment